• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

CPT Lab Panels ~ CCI EDITS

TiffanyM

Laureen,

I have a claim billed with 80048, 82040 84100 84439 . The the CCI edit re-bundles all of the labs into 80069 the renal function panel.

I am questioning 80048. Basic metabolic panel
According to the panel guidelines, do not report two or more panel codes comprising the same test.. report the remaining test individually.

Why is the 80048 re-bundled into 80069?

Thank you.

TiffanyM

Laureen,

I have a claim billed with 80048, 82040 84100 84439 . The the CCI edit re-bundles all of the labs into 80069 the renal function panel.

I am questioning 80048. Basic metabolic panel
According to the panel guidelines, do not report two or more panel codes comprising the same test.. report the remaining test individually.

Why is the 80048 re-bundled into 80069?

Thank you.
Or just to confirm.. is it due to 80048 panel includes all of the same labs as of 80069 panel and has more test. This was no first thought, but I wanted to confirm.. I am over thinking this I am sure.

Chaim

Blitzer
If you have all tests for 80048, then use 80048. Any extra tests not on that panel, code individually (not a panel code, but a test code).

I hope this helps,

Chaim

Chaim

Blitzer
Addendum: If there is one or more tests missing from a panel, you cannot code that panel. So if 80069 has not matched up completely, but 80049 does, use 80049 and any additional individual tests that are left, code as individual tests not panels.

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Laureen covered this topic in the January 2015 Q&A Webinar.
If you missed the webinar, it is a great idea to sign up for the CCO Club. That way you will get access to the recording of the webinar, conveniently divided into video clips by topic. You also get the transcript, answer sheets, and a chance to earn a CEU for the webinar by passing a 10 question quiz. Not only that, but you can access all the available resources for past webinars, too!

You can also check to see if the video clip is up on www.youtube.com/Medicalcodingcert. Check back later if it is not there yet, as it usually takes several weeks.